Maintaining a social life is key to leading a full life with hearing loss. Picking up new or old activities will make sure that your brain stays active. Studies have shown a link between hearing loss and cognitive decline which may be due to social isolation.
Here are some fun things that you can do:
- Take up a new hobby – i.e. join a knitting group, play bridge, paint portraits of dogs. Notice how these examples are all quiet fun where you can still chit-chat.
- Learn a new language – it’s hard but a great workout because you are reading new lips.
- Make new friends – this teaches to speechread new people.
- You can still go to the movies or theatre. Contact the venue ahead of time to see what captioning or listening systems are available.
- Reading – escape to another world where sound is not required. Perhaps join a book club!
- Exercise – Yes, exercise can be fun. Find something that you like and I won’t lecture you about the million reasons that you should exercise.
Go get ’em!