Sometimes people continue to struggle to communicate even after getting hearing aids. In particular, noisy places, such as restaurants and social gatherings can remain frustrating. Research tell us that people with hearing loss can understand spoken communication better by learning how to use visual cues. Learning how to interpret these clues is a skill that can be learned, practiced and honed.
Speechreading: The Basics is a four-class course which teaches people how to “read” what others are saying by lipreading and watching their body language and facial expressions. Taught by an audiologist, this course offers the opportunity to improve your understanding of spoken communications in a fun and interactive setting. It is also an excellent opportunity to interact with others who are also dealing with hearing loss.
So if you find yourself only catching part of a conversation, Speechreading: The Basics may be the course for you! The full Speechreading course has four classes. Each class is four hours in length. Classes can be taken in any order.
Upcoming classes for are to be announced. Keep checking back, or email Alia with any questions!
Time: All classes are 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Location: Deaf & Hear Alberta, 63 Cornell Road NW, Calgary
Bursaries are offered to those who have a financial barrier, please contact us to discuss. You can also register for classes by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 403-284-6212.
Register early as space is limited.
Dr. Sandra Vandenhoff is an audiologist with hearing loss in both ears. Since receiving a cochlear implant in 2006, Sandra has focused on auditory training, lip-reading, and communication strategies. Sandra founded HEARa to empower and support others to change their lives through their own efforts.
Course Withdrawal Policy for Paid Courses
- Refunds are not issued once classes have begun.
- Refunds are not issued for non-attendance.
- An administrative fee of $25 will be charged for each withdrawal request. This administrative fee will be waived for a transfer to another course.
- Refunds will be issued only if withdrawal is requested at least 3 business days prior to course start.
- Refunds will be processed within ten business days.
- A full refund will be given if a course is cancelled by Hear Alberta.